Approximately how many filings were there for bankruptcy in 1980? 1990? 2000?
What differences do you notice between consumer bankruptcy filings and business bankruptcy filings?
Use the information below to make a pie chart or bar chart of the % of filers who are couples, women filing alone, and men filing alone.
- Average age: 38
- 44% of filers are couples
- 30% are women filing alone
- 26% are men filing alone
- Slightly better educated than the general population
- Two out of three have lost a job
- Half have experienced a serious health problem
- Fewer than 9% have not suffered a job loss, medical event or divorce
- Highest bankruptcy rates: Tennessee, Utah, Georgia, Alabama